FIELD MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS
BRIDGE ERECTION BOAT (BEB)
GENERAL MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES
GENERAL CLEANING PROCEDURES, GENERAL INSPECTION PROCEDURES,
GENERAL REPAIR PROCEDURES, AND GENERAL ASSEMBLY PROCEDURES
GENERAL CLEANING PROCEDURES
Cleaning procedures are the same for most parts and components that make up the vessel subassemblies.
Great care and effort are required in all cleaning operations. Dirt and foreign material can jeopardize
satisfactory vessel operation and maintenance.
The following guidelines apply to all cleaning operations:
1. Clean all parts before inspection, after repair, and before assembly.
2. Keep hands free of any grease accumulation which could transfer contaminants to BEB.
3. After cleaning, wrap or cover all parts with plastic or paper to protect them from dust and/or dirt.
All electrical equipment and other parts that can be damaged by
steam cleaning or moisture must be removed and all openings must
be covered before cleaning. Dry parts with compressed air.
4. Place disassembled parts in wire baskets for cleaning. Dry and cover all cleaned parts and inspect or
repair as necessary. All parts subject to rusting must be oiled and wrapped in paper or plastic to avoid
dirt and/or dust settling on them. Keep all subassembly parts together and avoid mixing parts.
Improper cleaning methods and use of unauthorized cleaning
solvents may cause injury to personnel and/or damage to
Compressed air source must not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Wear
eyeshields when cleaning with compressed air. Failure to wear
eyeshields may result in injury to personnel.
5. Clean inner and outer surfaces of castings and all areas likely to collect grease and oil with cleaning
solvents. Use a stiff brush to remove sludge and gum deposits. Use compressed air to blow out all
tapped screw holes and to dry castings after cleaning.
6. Particular attention must be given to all oil passages in castings and machined parts. Oil passages
must be kept clean and free of obstructions. Clean passages with wire probes to break up any sludge
or gum deposits. Wash passages by flushing with cleaning solvents. Dry passages with compressed air.
7. Clean electrical cables and flexible hoses with soap and water. Allow to air dry.