ENGINE VALVE COVERS MAINTENANCE (Contd)
The valve covers on both engines are replaced the same way. This
procedure covers the replacement of all valve covers on one engine.
1. Remove filler cap (1), seal (8), capscrew (2), gasket (3), valve cover (7), and gasket (6) from engine (5).
Discard gaskets (3) and (6).
2. Remove five capscrews (2), gaskets (3), valve covers (4), and gaskets (6) from engine (5). Discard
gaskets (3) and (6).
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
1. For general cleaning and inspection instructions, refer to WP 0013 00.
Skysol 100 solvent is combustible; DO NOT use or store near heat,
sparks, flame, or other ignition sources. Use mechanical ventilation
whenever product is used in a confined space, heated above
ambient temperatures, or agitated. Keep container sealed when not
Contact with Skysol 100 may cause skin irritation. Use chemical-
resistant gloves. In case of skin contact, remove any contaminated
clothing and wash skin thoroughly with soap and water. Wash
contaminated clothing before reuse. Eye contact may cause
irritation, tearing, or blurring of vision. Use face shield or goggles
when eye contact may occur. In case of eye contact, flush eyes with
large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes or until irritation
subsides. Inhalation may cause irritation to upper respiratory
passages. DO NOT have food or drink in the vicinity. Failure to
comply may result in injury to personnel.
Compressed air source must not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Wear
eyeshields when cleaning with compressed air. Failure to wear
eyeshields may result in injury to personnel.
2. Remove excess gasket materials with Skysol 100 and dry with compressed air.
3. Inspect all components for damage. Replace damaged components.
4. Inspect seal (8) for cracks or damage. Replace seal (8) if damaged or cracked.
1. Position six new gaskets (6) on engine (5).
2. Install seal (8) and filler cap (1) on valve cover (7).
3. Install valve cover (7) on front position of engine (5) with new gasket (3) and capscrew (2).
4. Install five valve covers (4) on engine with new gaskets (3) and capscrews (2).
5. Start engine and check for leaks (TM 5-1940-322-10).
6. Close engine hatches (TM 5-1940-322-10).