FINAL DRIVE REPAIR (Sheet 5 of 30)
Early model final drives have 7/8 inch
head bolts and late models have 1 inch
It may be necessary to use han-
dle extension on hinged handle to
remove bolts (L).
16. Using a 7/8 inch or 1 inch socket and hinged
bar with 1/2 inch drive, remove twenty bolts
17. Using 5/16 inch allen wrench, remove four
Make sure setscrew holes have been
tapped prior to installing jackscrews to
Keep surfaces of case and carrier parallel
to avoid binding during separation.
18. Using fingers, install four 5/8 x 18 x 4 inch
jackscrews (N) in setscrew holes.
19. Using 5/8 inch socket, slowly and evenly
tighten the four jackscrews (N) to separate
final drive carrier (P) from case (Q).
20. Using 5/8 inch socket, remove four jackscrews
(N) from final drive carrier (P).
21. Using fingers, remove gasket (R). Throw
22. Using suitable lifting device, position final
drive on its side.
Go on to Sheet 6
Change 2 7 - 5