4-71. Bow Pontons.
This task covers:
General Mechanics Automotive Tool Kit
(Item 1, Appendix B)
Ponton Leak Detector (Item 3, Appendix B)
Lifting Sling (NSN 1670-00-907-3080)
Four Chocks 6 x 6 x 24 in. (15x15x 60 cm)
Materials/Parts - Continued
Sealing Compound (Item 14, Appendix E)
Grease, Automotive and Artillery
(Item 2, Appendix E)
Compound, Deck Covering
(Item 1, Appendix E)
Unfolding lever removed (para. 4-47).
There are two bow pontons on each bay. The following procedures are the same for both.
a. Replace. (figure 4-93)
(1) connect bay (1) to suitable lifting device and raise bay enough to place four chocks (2) under roadway pon-
tons (3) and lower bay.
(2) Connect bow ponton (4) to suitable lifting device.
Stand clear of pontons and cable during lowering operations. Do not stand on, or place hands or arms
under, ramp bay pontons when removing attaching parts.
(3) Unlatch roadway/bow ponton foldlock latch (5) and slowly lower bow ponton (4).
(4) Remove four spring pins (6), two hinge pins (7) and remove bow ponton (4).
(5) Apply grease to hinge pins (7).
Do not stand on, or place hands or arms under, ramp bay pontons when installing attaching parts. Stand
clear of pontons and cable during lifting operations.
(6) Install bow ponton (4) and secure with two hinge pins (7) and spring pins (6).