BRIDGE ANCHORAGE (Contd)
INSTALLATION OF AN OVERHEAD CABLE ANCHORAGE SYSTEM (Contd)
c. Erection of Towers.
(1) To assemble the anchor tower, anchor the tower base, rig the guy lines, and
provide deadmen or hold-fasts for the tower guy lines. Begin installation of
the deadman to which the overhead cable will be attached prior to tower
(2) Install tower base plates and chain holdfasts.
(3) Connect the pivot unit, the required number of tower sections (from the
tower design), and the tower cap. Bolt the tower cap to the top tower section.
The tower cap has a 3-in. (7.6-cm) saddle, which must be aligned to receive
the overhead cable. For multiple cable systems, ensure that the two-cap
adapter with two wire rope slings is attached to the top tower section.
(4) Before raising the tower, secure the guy lines to the tower cap. Take care not
to tangle or foul these guy lines. Place the erection arm in the pivot unit and
pin it to the tower base to keep the pivot unit in the base socket.
(5) Raise the tower. For taller towers, some lifting device may be needed. (Refer
to figure 18.) Any crane, M728 combat engineer vehicle, or M88 recovery
vehicle can be used.
(6) Adjust the tower guy lines as required.
Figure 18. Raising the Tower.