IMPROVED RIBBON BRIDGE (IRB)
RAMP BAY M16
NSN 5420-01-470-5825 P/N 12478918;
INTERIOR BAY M17
NSN 5420-01-470-5824 P/N 12478919.
Section IV. OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS
This section contains special instructions for CBT and bridge operations in
unusual conditions. The standard guidelines for bridge operation should be
followed along with the following precautions for various weather conditions.
OPERATION IN SNOW OR ICY CONDITIONS
During bridge construction, operation, and recovery, follow all operating
procedures for normal conditions and the following special instructions.
Ensure snow and ice accumulation is removed from
adjoining surfaces of pontons and from all ponton-
locking levers and hinge points prior to launch or
retrieval of bay.
1. Remove any snow or ice from bridge equipment before and after operation.
2. Continually check upstream side of bridge for ice buildup or ice flows;
remove ice buildup or ice flows off side of bridge where possible.
3. Monitor river flow and adjust anchorage accordingly. (Refer to
WP 0035 00.)
4. Wear gloves when operating or handling metallic equipment that is wet or ice
covered, and exercise caution when working on bridge where snow or ice
5. Check fluid levels more frequently in cold temperatures prior to operation.
(Refer to WP 0064 00.)