0061 00-1/2 blank
DIRECT SUPPORT TROUBLESHOOTING
IMPROVED RIBBON BRIDGE (IRB)
RAMP BAY M16
NSN 5420-01-470-5825 P/N 12478918;
INTERIOR BAY M17
NSN 5420-01-470-5824 P/N 12478919.
INTRODUCTION TO TROUBLESHOOTING
a. This chapter provides the necessary troubleshooting procedures to diagnose mechanical and
hydraulic malfunctions for the IRB ramp and interior bays.
b. The symptom index has its own work package number and is used to identify the malfunction and
locate the troubleshooting procedure to diagnose the problem.
c. Each troubleshooting procedure lists a description of the malfunction followed by a step or sequence
of steps to check the operation of a component. Then, in the order of probability, substeps instruct the user
to determine if a condition exists through a check, inspection, or test, followed by the corrective action
required to solve the malfunction.
d. Prior to performing any troubleshooting procedure, the following recommendations should be
(1) Check the Equipment Inspection and Maintenance Worksheet, DA Form 2404, DA Form 5988-E,
and Maintenance Request form, DA Form 5504, to find out why the equipment has been deadlined. Note
the operators and unit maintenance written descriptions of the problem and, whenever possible, ask the
operator and unit maintenance personnel; this can save time and effort in diagnosing the malfunction.
(2) It is best not to assume the lower lever maintenance diagnosis is correct, even if it sounds
accurate. Always perform the appropriate troubleshooting procedure(s) to verify the cause of the problem.
Performing a corrective action without proof of a fault wastes time and increases the maintainability of the
(3) Always first isolate the system where the malfunction occurs, then locate the component and
perform the corrective action in the order listed.
(4) Use approved mechanical and fluid repair practices provided in technical manuals, field manu-
als, and technical bulletins listed in References (WP 0082 00) of this manual.
(5) Use the approved special tools and test equipment to determine the known parameters for
isolating a fault.
END OF WORK PACKAGE