Eyeshields must be worn when cleaning with a wire brush. Flying
rust and metal particles may result in injury to personnel.
Remove old gasket and/or sealing compound using wire brush and Skysol-100.
k. Rusted Surfaces.
All parts subject to rusting must be lightly oiled and wrapped
prior to storage.
Clean all rusted surfaces using wire brush and emery cloth.
Externally Exposed Parts. Wash with soap and water. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
a. General Instructions. Procedures for inspections will be the same for many of the parts and
components that make up the IRB subassemblies. General procedures are detailed in steps b through k.
Dimensional standards for parts have been fixed at extremely close tolerances; use specification where
provided. Use specified inspection equipment for inspection where cracks and other damage cannot be
spotted visually. Exercise extreme care in all phases of inspection.
(1) Inspect all ferrous and nonferrous castings for cracks using a magnifying glass and strong light.
(2) Refer to ASTM-E 1417, Inspection, Liquid Penetrant Methods, and MIL-I-6868, Inspection
Process, Magnetic Particles.
(3) Particularly inspect areas around studs, pipe plugs, threaded inserts, and sharp corners. Replace
all cracked castings.
(4) Inspect machined surfaces for nicks, burrs, or raised metal. Mark damaged areas for repair or
(5) Inspect all pipe plugs, pipe plug openings, screws, and screw openings for damaged or stripped
threads. Replace or repair damaged or stripped threads.
(6) Using a straightedge or surface plate, check all gasket mating surfaces, flanges on housings, and
supports for warpage. Inspect mating flanges for discolorations which may indicate persistent
oil leakage. Replace damaged parts.
(7) Check all castings for conformance to applicable repair standards. Replace damaged castings.
Bearings. Refer to TM 9-214 for inspection of bearings. Check all bearings for conformance to
applicable repair standards.
d. Studs, Bolts, and Screws. Replace if threads are damaged, bent, or stripped.
Seals. Seals are mandatory replacement items.
Bushings and Bushing-Type Bearings.
(1) Check all bushings and bushing-type bearings for secure fit, evidence of overheating, wear,
burrs, nicks, and out-of-round condition.
(2) Check for dirt in lubrication holes or grooves. Holes and grooves must be clean and free from
g. Machined Tooled Parts. Inspect for cracks, breaks, elongated holes, wear, and chips.
h. Machined Surfaces. Inspect for cracks, evidence of wear, galled or pitted surface, burrs, nicks, and