OPERATION OF LPU FOR BRIDGE LAUNCH OR RETRIEVAL (Contd)
6. Turn pallet main power switch to ON position prior to starting LPU engine.
7. With pallet main power switch ON, observe battery charge warning lamp (8)
and oil pressure indicator lamp (10). Both lamps should be illuminated,
indicating correct system operation.
If starting a cold engine with air temperature below +40F
(+4C), engine must be preheated before starting. Refer to
8. Turn ignition switch (9) to position 1 and hold for required duration to preheat
engine. Refer to WP 0025 00. Indicator lamp (11) should be illuminated during
Do not operate CBT engine or LPU engine in an enclosed area.
Be alert at all times for exhaust odors. Failure to comply may
result in injury to personnel or death.
Operators will wear hearing protection during LPU start-up
and when performing launch/retrieval operations in close
proximity to LPU. Failure to comply may result in injury to
Do not operate starter continuously for more than 20 seconds;
wait 15 seconds between periods of starter operation. Failure to
do so may result in damage to starter.
If engine fails to start after cranking for 15 seconds, repeat
steps 8 and 9.
9. After appropriate preheat time has elapsed, if necessary, start engine by
turning ignition switch (9) to position 2. Release switch after engine starts.
Switch (9) will return automatically to position 0 once released.
If air temperature is below +40F (+4C), allow engine to warm
up as necessary before performing launch or retrieval. Refer to
10. Once engine starts, ensure warning lamps indicate the following:
a. Charge warning lamp (8) should not be illuminated.
b. Oil pressure warning lamp (10) should not be illuminated.