BRIDGE ANCHORAGE (Contd)
3. Position hold-fast on ground adjacent to anchoring eye (1), and connect
opposite end of anchoring strap to shackle (5). Ensure that latch (3) closes on
Ensure that ground under hold-fast is firm, relatively flat,
and free from rocks and debris. Anchoring pins should be
driven into ground until seated against hold-fast.
4. Adjust length of anchoring strap as space allows. Position hold-fast in line with
anchoring strap and bridge anchoring eye (1) at approximately
a 45-degree angle to centerline of bridge.
5. Remove eight anchoring pins from anchorage stowage box. Refer to
Wear safety glasses when using sledge hammer to drive
anchoring pins in ground; metal fragments from
anchoring pins may result in injury to personnel.
6. Using sledge hammer and nail head supplied in anchorage stowage boxes,
secure hold-fast to ground with eight anchoring pins.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for remaining three bridge quarters (2)
Ensure that anchoring strap is adjusted so that when
tightened, there is a minimum of three complete wraps
on the ratchet wheel. Failure to comply may result in
damage to equipment and injury or possible death to
8. Remove slack from each anchoring strap, and evenly tighten four anchoring
straps by cranking ratchet wheel (7) using ratchet lever (6).