OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS (Contd)
OPERATION IN EXTREME HEAT OR DRY CONDITIONS
Follow all operating procedures for normal conditions and the following special
If necessary to park in direct sunlight, cover parked
vehicle with tarpaulin if no other shelter is available.
A very high standard of maintenance is essential to long
term operation under conditions of extreme heat. High
temperature can cause early failure of systems. Constant
checking is necessary to prevent failures.
1. Check oil levels more frequently. Refer to Lubrication Instructions, WP 0045 00.
2. Do not leave RCU in direct sunlight for extended periods.
3. Keep moving parts clean and well lubricated and ensure all air inlets are kept
clean to permit cooling. For cleaning instructions, refer to WP 0046 00. For
4. Engine oil should be changed more frequently when Launch Power Unit
engine is run in extreme heat. Run LPU engine at idle for about 2 minutes
before shutting down. Idling will cool engine faster than a quick shutdown and
may prevent damage from remaining engine heat.
OPERATING TRANSPORTER IN UNUSUAL ENVIRONMENT OR WEATHER
For operation of the Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT) in
unusual environment/weather conditions, see TM 9-2320-279-10.
LAUNCH OR RETRIEVE IN EXTREME COLD (ARCTIC OPERATION)
Bridge must not be launched or retrieved at temperatures
below -25.6 F (-32 C). Hydraulic lines can rupture
resulting in damage to equipment and possible injury to
Launch and retrieval times will vary depending on
ambient temperatures and viscosity of oil in use.
1. Change oil in pallet hydraulic system and LPU engine to a viscosity category
that matches the ambient temperature when starting from cold. Refer to table
1, and notify field maintenance to change oil as required.