GENERAL MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES (Contd)
a. General Instructions. Procedures for inspections will be the same for many of the parts and
components that make up the REB subassemblies. General procedures are detailed in steps b
through l. Dimensional standards for parts have been fixed at extremely close tolerances; use
specification where provided. Use specified inspection equipment for inspection where cracks and
other damage cannot be spotted visually. Exercise extreme care in all phases of inspection.
(1) Inspect all ferrous and nonferrous castings for cracks using a magnifying glass and strong light.
(2) Refer to ASTM-E 1417, Inspection, Liquid Penetrant Methods, and MIL-I-6868, Inspection
Process, Magnetic Particles.
(3) Particularly inspect areas around studs, pipe plugs, threaded inserts, and sharp corners. Replace
all cracked castings.
(4) Inspect machined surfaces for nicks, burrs, or raised metal. Mark damaged areas for repair or
(5) Inspect all pipe plugs, pipe plug openings, screws, and screw openings for damaged or stripped
threads. Replace or repair damaged or stripped threads.
(6) Using a straightedge or surface plate, check all gasket mating surfaces, flanges on housings, and
supports for warpage. Inspect mating flanges for discolorations which may indicate persistent
oil leakage. Replace damaged parts.
(7) Check all castings for conformance to applicable repair standards. Replace damaged castings.
c. Bearings. Refer
to TM 9-214
of bearings. Check
applicable repair standards.
d. Studs, Bolts, and Screws. Replace if threads are damaged, bent, or stripped.
e. Seals. Seals are mandatory replacement items.
f. Bushings and Bushing-Type Bearings.
and bushing-type bearings
for secure fit, evidence
of overheating, wear, burrs,
nicks, and out-of-round condition.
(2) Check for dirt in lubrication holes or grooves. Holes and grooves must be clean and free from
g. Machined Tooled Parts. Inspect for cracks, breaks, elongated holes, wear, and chips.
h. Machined Surfaces. Inspect for cracks, evidence of wear, galled or pitted surface, burrs, nicks, and
i. Mated Surfaces. Inspect for remains of old gasket, seal, secure fit, pitting, and evidence of leakage.
j. Rusted Surfaces. Inspect for pitting, holes, and severe damage.
k. Externally Exposed Parts. Inspect for breaks, cracks, rust damage, and wear.
l. Rivets. Inspect for loose, broken, and missing rivets in accordance with TM 9-450.