BRIDGE SUPPORT WHEEL HUB AND TIRE, BEARINGS, AXLE BRACKET, AND SPRING SUPPORT
ASSEMBLY MAINTENANCE (Contd)
There are four support wheels and spring support assemblies per
bridge quarter. Maintenance is performed the same way for each
support wheel and spring support assembly. This task covers
maintenance of one support wheel and spring support assembly.
It may be necessary to use spreader and puller to remove support
wheel from axle bracket.
Perform steps 1 and 2 to remove support wheel and axle bracket.
1. Remove snapring (1) from shaft (17), and pull support wheel hub (21) and support wheel tire (4)
evenly off shaft (17).
2. Remove four screws (16), lockwashers (15), and axle bracket (14) from spring support bracket (13).
Perform steps 3 through 7 to remove spring support assembly.
There are four retainer support brackets per bridge quarter. One
retainer support bracket has a cutaway for clearance; three do not.
Illustration shows retainer support bracket with cutaway.
3. Tighten screw (6) to compress spring (7) until washer (5) is clear of retainer support bracket (9).
4. Remove four screws (18), spacers (20), and plate (19) from spring support bracket (13) and support
5. Loosen screw (6) until screw (6), washer (5), and spring (7) can be removed from spring support
6. Remove four screws (10), washers (11), and retainer support bracket (9) from support bracket (8).
1. Remove two snaprings (2) and bearings (3) from hub (21).
2. If support wheel tire (4) is damaged, remove support wheel tire (4) from hub (21).
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
Cleaning solvent mixture is combustible. Use mechanical
ventilation whenever product is used in a confined space. DO NOT
use or store near heat, sparks, flame, or other ignition sources,
Keep container sealed when not in use.
Contact with cleaning solvent may cause skin irritation. Use
chemical-resistant gloves. In case of skin contact, remove any
contaminated clothing and wash skin thoroughly with soap and
water. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. Eye contact may
cause irritation, tearing, or blurring of vision, Use face shield or
goggles when eye contact may occur. In case of eye contact, flush
eyes with large amounts of water for at least fifteen (15) minutes
or until irritation subsides. Inhalation may cause irritation to
upper respiratory passages. DO NOT have food or drink in the
1. Clean support wheel hub (21) and bearings (3) with cleaning solvent and dry with cloth before inspection.