e. Recovery/ Retrieval of Impacted Bridge - CONT
Working with a jack is dangerous. The jack could slip and exit the work area with enough
force to cause injury or death to personnel. The bridge could sideslip and fall. Personnel
should stay clear and out from under the lifted area of the bridge at all times.
(6) Slowly lift the bridge while taking care to watch the position of the jack (2).
(7) When working with one jack, shore up the lifted side with blocking before moving the jack
to lift the opposite side.
(8) Place the jack (2) in the same position on the opposite side of the bridge. Be sure that the
base of the jack is resting on a secure, firm base such as blocking.
(9) Slowly lift the opposite side of the bridge. Lift the bridge no higher than required for the
launcher to make connection.
(10) Secure the bridge at this height with blocking (4).
(11) If bridge is serviceable and is to be loaded on a launcher, refer to paragraph 2-8b.
(12) If bridge is not serviceable and cannot be repaired at site, recover using procedures outlined
in paragraph 2-9f.
Change 2 2-71