4-32. Rear Winch Cable Assembly.
This task covers:
a. Replace (Winch Model 11-S-EC)
b. Replace (Winch Model PG-115-043R)
General Mechanics Automotive Tool Kit
Bay removed (para. 2-16).
(Item 1, Appendix B)
Lubricant, Exposed Wire (Item 6, Appendix E)
Wire Rope, 100 ft (30.48 m); and Rags, Wiping (Item 12, Appendix E)
a. Replace (Winch Model 11-S-EC). (figure 4-34)
(1) Raise boom (1) approximately 5 ft (1.53 m) and block in position.
Always wear leather gloves when handling winch cable.
Never allow cable to run through hands.
Failure to maintain tension on cable while winch drum is turning will cause cable to become snarled on
(2) Pay out cable (2) fully until cable anchor (3) is exposed.
Press cable anchor (3) out of drum (4) and remove cable (2) from drum (4) and boom (1).
(4) Unscrew sleeve (5) from clevis (6) and remove cable (2) from clevis (6).
(5) Remove plug (7) and remove cable (2) from sleeve (5).
(6) Inspect clevis (6) hook (8) and safety latch on hook for cracks and deformities and replace any damaged item.
Refer to Appendix F for procedures to manufacture a new cable assembly.
Insert cable (2) in sleeve (5) with approximate 1.50 in. (3.8 cm) extending through sleeve (5).
(9) Spread strands of cable (2) and insert plug (7) and drive plug to solid seat.